Events are open to the public unless otherwise noted. The 1700 Moss Street location in New Orleans opened November 18, 2018, which was also the 90th Anniversary of Deutsches Haus! (link to map)
Kino. Wednesday, May 22, 7:30pm. Movie: Vier Gegen Die Bank (Four Against the Bank). A German Bank-Heist Film? Ja! It tells the story of friends who conceive a plan to steal back their savings from an unscrupulous banker. Wolfgang Petersen, of Das Boot fame, directs. Screened in the original German with sub-titles. Free and open to the public. *Flyer*
Trivia Night. Friday, May 24, 7:30 pm – Food service starts 6:30 pm. Free to play. Bring your team, come by and be a one person team, or join up with others to form a larger team. * More Info*
Haus Social. Saturday, May 25, 4pm-7pm. Crawfish Boil. Crawfish, potatoes, corn, sausage and Spaten Lager. All in air-conditioned comfort. Tickets must be purchased by Wednesday May 22 at noon. $18 members, $20 non-members. *Tickets here*
German music at the Birdfoot Festival. May 29-June 1. New Orleans’ annual international chamber music festival features rarely heard works by German and Austrian composers. Some events listed below. *Complete info at Birdfoot website*
- Concert at the George and Joyce Wein Jazz & Heritage Center. Wednesday, May 29, 8 PM: Nothing But The Truth concert includes German composer Johann Christoph Bach’s “Ach dass ich Wassers gnug hätte”
- Concert at the Contemporary Arts Center. Thursday, May 29, 7 PM. Birdfoot Backstage at the Contemporary Arts Center takes the audience “backstage” with Birdfoot Festival musicians for a lively exploration of Franz Peter Schubert’s beloved “Death and the Maiden” Quartet. Free admission. Contemporary Arts Center New Orleans.
- Concert at the Contemporary Arts Center. Friday, May 31, 8 PM: In the Birdfoot Festival’s Let there be Night concert, music and text come together to re-enact and glorify spiritual mystery in J.S. Bach’s Cantata 54 —Widerstehe doch der Sünde. For contemporary Austrian composer Georg Friedrich Haas, mystery is revealed in the hidden spectrums of sound.
Harp Recital. Sunday, June 2, 5pm. The New Orleans Harp Society will hold their student recitals at Deutsches Haus. Free and open to the public.
Kino. Wednesday, June 26, 7:30pm. Movie: Der Flitzer (The Streaker – 2017). Screened in the original German with sub-titles. Free and open to the public.
Oktoberfest. Three weekends in October, October 4-5, 11-12, and 18-19 (Friday/Saturday). Food, Fun, Music, Dancing. Keep up with details on OktoberfestNOLA.com as plans for this year firm up.
German Language Classes
- Short Tourist German classes in May
- New class session starts mid-June *More Info*
Kinderchor (Children Chorus) Children’s German Choir.
Sangerchor (Singers’ Chorus) 1st and 3rd Monday.